December 21, 2012. The Apocalypse?
Nearly thirteen years ago, hubby (then fiancé) and I toasted the new year with a few good friends. Y2K was everywhere. Some folks devoutly believed the end was upon us. Some folks thought it was a lot of bunk. Most of us probably considered the whole business unlikely…but entertained the wee littlest of doubts. Until the clock hit midnight and kept right on ticking, none of us would know for sure.
I’m not ashamed to say that I might have held my breath for a moment as we counted down to the New Year. Likewise I paid more attention to the world around me in the coming days. But the world went on as usual.
Somewhere, some folks were probably pissed the apocalypse was cancelled. Again.
We can laugh at those folks, telling anyone who will listen that we know better. Truth is, none of us know for sure, ahead of time, which day is our last. That fact alone, regardless of doomsday predictions, should make us love one another a little more.
Is December 21 the first day of the end of the world (never mind it’s already 12/21 in some parts of the world)?
Maybe Probably not. But it could be, so don’t get cocky.
Plan for the future. Be ready for the end. Live in the now.
Check out NASA’s neener-neener-neener-we-told-you-so video, dated 12/22 but released ten days early. Won’t they be embarrassed if they’re wrong.
What do you think? Why do we get so excited over apocalyptic predictions? How sure are you the world won’t end tomorrow? Anyone else planning a disaster flick marathon…you know, just for fun?
Possibly Probably Related articles
- Apocalypse Soon: 7 Days and Counting (beautifulrailwaybridgeofthesilverytay.me)
- Failed Doomsday Predictions – Business Insider (misebogland.wordpress.com)
- Doomsday cultists await ‘end of world’ (bigpondnews.com)
- NASA vs. the Maya Madness (drhiphop85.com)
- NASA Says “No Apocalypse” Must Mean Total Apocalypse [The Apocalypse] (collegecandy.com)
- Airlines report significant rise in doomsday flights to alleged ‘safe havens’ (theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com)
- Mayan Apocalypse: Everything You Wanted To Know But Were REALLY Afraid To Ask (motherjones.com)